UA-17166338-2
Hanan Isachar Photography
back to collection

Apollonia-Arsuf National Park (49 images)

View: 250 | All
Established by the Phoenicians in the 6th century B.C and was named Arsuf. In the Hellenistic period the name
of the town was changed to Apollonia. A harbour was built by the Romans and the town reached its heyday in the Byzantine period 5th to 6th centuries A.D. Following the first Islamic period, 7th to 11th centuries the Crusaders conquered
the town in 1101 and named it Arsur. The fortress was built in 1241 and was destroyed by the Mamluk sultan Baybars in 1265